The Grand Theatre is an 820 seat performing Arts Facility located in downtown Kingston in an historical building. It is the home of The Kingston Symphony, which provides a variety of concerts and stage productions appealing to a wide audience.
Originally named Martin's Opera House, it was built in 1879 by William C. Martin, a businessman and supporter of the arts. The theatre experiences great success as it presented over 1200 live performances including opera, minstrels, band concerts and such traveling celebrities as Oscar Wilde. In 1889, it presented Canada's first opera, Leo, the Royal Cadet, which was written by two Kingston residents, Oscar Telgmann, and George Cameron. After almost twenty years, the theatre burnt to the ground on December 6, 1898.
Rebuilt in 1902 by Ambrose J. Small and E.J. Barker Pense, the Grand Opera House was rated one of the most modern theatres in Canada.